Make this fruity pie as a Halloween treat. Puff pastry filled with strawberry jam and apple, and decorated with icing eyes for an Egyptian 'mummy' effect...
Prep: 45/50min - Level: Easy - Serving: 8
- 500gr Puff Pastry
- 100gr strawberry Jam (or your favorite fruit jam!)
- 1 Large Apple peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Egg beaten
- 20gr Raw Sugar
- Icing sugar
- Olive oil
1. Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Roll out the puff pastry to a 30 x 45cm rectangle, then put it on a large baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
2. Put the pastry in front of you with a short edge nearest to you. Spread the jam in a line down the centre, about 12cm wide, leaving 2cm of pastry at the top and bottom. Arrange the apple slices on top in a thin layer.
3. To make the bandage pattern, lightly mark a 1cm-border around the jam. Cut the pastry edges into 1cm wide strips from the line outwards.
4. Fold the strips of pastry over inwards on both sides, starting from the top until you reach the bottom, making some of them straight and some of them diagonal, so every now and then you can see some jam and apple. Don’t worry if they don’t look neat – this should look like a mummy. Every now and then you can break off a strip so you can see more filling. Chill for 20 mins. Can be wrapped in cling film and frozen for up to 1 month.
5. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and put in a baking sheet to heat up. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the sugar. Slide the tart on its parchment onto the hot baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 mins or until golden brown on top. Cool for a few mins, then push pairs of icing eyes into the pastry gaps so they look like they're looking out.
MAKE 'ICING EYES'
To make icing eyes, mix up a batch of fondant icing and pipe sets of ‘eyeballs’ onto baking parchment then leave to dry. Either add ‘pupils’ to the eyes with a small brush and black colouring or make up a batch of black icing and pipe it on top.
Don't forget to share this recipe with your Facebook friends!!